Soda Bottles Repurposed






I am a slow crafter. I get really excited about a new craft, I get started, and then something inevitably goes wrong, I get frustrated and take a break. Most of the time I do end up finishing the project, but it does take awhile. I hope I'm not the only one like this. Here is a project I have been working on for a couple months.

I have always thought soda bottles looked so cool, and knew there was a cool project out there somewhere. Then one day inspiration struck. Thank heaven for Pinterest. It led me to Chicy Creations and her spray painted "Bloom" soda bottles. I took her basic idea and tweaked it a little bit.

I started off with Jones sodas. I love the cream soda and husband is all about the green apple. It was a pleasure to collect the needed bottles.
 

After the bottles were emptied and rinsed out I peeled off the labels and use Goo Gone to get off the sticky stuff.
 

Then I spray painted them with Krylon Blue Ocean Breeze spray paint that I bought at Walmart for around $3.50. This is the point where frustration struck. I kept trying to spray paint on windy days and I ended up with dried grass and newspaper getting stuck in my wet paint over and over. It was so annoying.


But, sometime a set back leads to even better things. I had to use sandpaper to sand off the ruined paint job. As I did this Husband pointed out how cool the distressed look was on my bottles, so I kept sanding. Sometimes distressing is can be a scary step. You don't want to do too much and have to repaint it. So start slow, but be brave and bold. I like the way it turned out.


I topped the bottles off with a piece of burlap and ribbon wrapped around the middle. I like the rough quality of the burlap combined with the distressing. I didn't worry too much about cutting the burlap straight or making sure they were all the same size. I thought it added to the overall rustic look. Then he ribbon around the middle kind of softened the whole look.

 

Husband helped me cut the flowers off to fit a little better in the bottles.


In the end I decided I didn't like so many bottles together, so I broke them up into two groups. I love the way they look on both my piano and my guest bathroom. So this project took a long time, but I am really excited about the way they turned out. 






Linked On:
Lil\'Luna




Button pic 9












3 comments:

  1. Really cute! I just refinished a glass jar with paint but I poured the paint around inside until is was coated. That way it's still smooth glass on the outside. It was easy but you can't get the distressed look with that method, and I really like how yours turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. super cute idea!! I tried this with some mason jars- I hated the look of the chipped paint (and it kept happening). But i see you have some chipping and I think it looks rustic. I kinda love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Husband pointed out how cool the distressed look was

    HA HA since your blog is called learning to be a mom I have to warn you that you are going to have alot of distressed looks over the years created by your kids! :)

    This craft is very nice and the picture attracted me ( visiting from Family Home and Life link party ) but as a grandma ( over at www.thehomespun.com ) who raised 3 boys I remember getting my furniture and other items in the home beat up and 'distressed" over the years. My mother used to comfort me by reminding me that in Country Living magazine furniture was generally supposed to look that way! :)

    ReplyDelete