Baked French Toast and Breakfast Buffet


One of my family's most recent family traditions is the Breakfast Buffet. My family loves to get together for breakfast on holidays or weekends or just whenever we feel hungry. Usually we all just mooch off of my parents, but recently we have started a buffet style breakfast where we all bring a dish to share. It is so fun. There is always so much to choose from, plus I get to try out different breakfast recipes.

Most recently I brought baked french toast. It was delicious. I wish I had more pictures of it, but there was no time. I had to take a quick picture and then get some food. When you grow up with eight kids in the family you get while the getting is good or you might miss out.

 

Here is what you need:

1 Loaf French Bread
8 Eggs
2 C Whole Milk
1/2 C Heavy Whipping Cream
3/4 C Sugar
2 T Vanilla
1/2 C Flour
1/2 C Brown Sugar
1 t Cinnamon
1/4 t Salt
1 Stick Cold Butter

1. Grease a 9x13 inch pan. Tear the bread into chunks and distribute throughout the pan. Don't worry about making them uniform, it really doesn't matter.
2. In a separate bowl mix together eggs, milk, cream, sugar and vanilla. Pour evenly over the top of the bread. Cover tightly and store in the fridge over night.(I am bolding this so you don't overlook it. I hate starting a recipe for breakfast that day and then realizing I should have started it the day before.)
3. In another bowl make the topping. Mix together the brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. Cut the butter into pieces and mix it in. I like to use my hands. Mix until it starts to look like pebbles. You can either make this the night before and store it in the fridge or make it right before baking.
4. The next morning sprinkle the topping over the french toast and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour. 

You could also add nuts or fruit before baking. Our problem is I like nuts, but not fruit and Husband likes fruit but not nuts, so ours was plain which was also delicious. When serving you can top with a little syrup or whipped cream, or just plain.

Linking Up At:



Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. Those potatoes look delicious what is the recipe for those?
    -Brian Everett
    dedicated follower

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were indeed delicious potatoes, but since your wife made them you'll have to ask her for the recipe, and then pass it along to me. But thanks for stopping by, it's nice to know my brother cares.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love baked french toast. Breakfast is my absolute favorite meal of the day so a breakfast buffet sounds like a fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for joining us at Must Try Monday again! Awesome to have you!

    ReplyDelete