Read - Bookshelf Topper



I love to read. Snuggling up with a good book is one of my favorite things to do. But even more than I love reading, I love books. I don't think a person can ever have too many books. I love the way they look and the way they smell. Over the years I have amassed a pretty good book collection (It would be bigger if Husband wasn't here to reign me in.) In our play room we have a large book shelf with many of my favorite children's books. While I love just the look of lots of books on a shelf, it felt like something was missing, so I added this cute decoration to the top. I picked up these paper mache letters at Joann's, and covered them in this cute paper I got from Hobby Lobby.


If you've never done this before it's a pretty simple process. Some people like to cut the paper to the exact size and shape of the letter, and then glue it on, but that is way too meticulous for me. I trace around the letter, leaving some extra space all around. Then I cut it out and mod podge it to the letter. You can see in the first picture how the paper is still hanging over the edge of the letter. Next fold the extra paper over the edge and use sandpaper to sand it off. It will rip off right next to the edge of the letter. IT does leave kind of an ugly ripped edge, so I take a black stamp pad and run it over the edges to cover it up, plus I add some to the front for and antiqued look. And voila, it's done!


I used my repurposed soda bottles to add some height and fullness. Now I not only love looking at all my books, but I also love the overall look of my shelf.

0 comments:

Post a Comment