Between Shades of Grey Review

Between Shades of Gray 

It has been awhile since I have posted about a book I am reading. I finished Between Shades of Grey by Ruta Sepetys a couple weeks ago and I just had to share it. Please don't get this confused with 50 Shades of Grey. It is totally different. This book is from the young adult list of the Utah Beehive Award Nominees for 2013. I am still working my way through the list trying to read all of them before next spring. I think I'm making good progress. I still need to post about some of the others from the list.

So, for Between Shades of Grey. This was one of the most amazing books I have ever read. It was so moving and captivating. I don't remember the last time I have ever felt so pulled in to a book. As I was reading this I could completely block out everything else around me and really feel and see the story unfolding. 

It is the story of a teenage girl from Lithuania during the time that Stalin was invading the Baltic countries and arresting anyone who opposed him. This isn't a piece of history I know very much about. It is during the time of the second world war, but we just don't hear anything about this. Her family is sent to a prison camp, very similar to what the Nazis did to the Jews, and you follow her family through their imprisonment. 

It is a very heavy story, I would not recommend this book to anyone under high school age, but it is told so beautifully and it has such important messages. I found myself holding Sweet Girl tighter and being so grateful that she is safe and healthy. It really is a beautiful story. It left me wanting to learn more about those people and that, in my opinion, is the mark of a great story.

0 comments:

Post a Comment