Plov- Russian Chicken and Rice


My sister, Sarah, and I used to attend cooking classes at a local grocery store together. They were so much fun. We got to sit in the audience while someone demonstrated a new dish and at the end we all got samples and a copy of the recipe. Now that we have both moved away I really miss those classes.

Plov is one of the recipes we got there. It is a Russian dish, but I don't know how authentic it is when I make it. Either way it is delicious. It has become a regular on our dinner menu. Plus it is very easy to make and we generally have all of the ingredients on hand.

Ingredients:

1 Large chicken breast, cut into cubes
1 small onion, chopped
2 medium carrots, grated
1 c. rice, cooked according to the package
1-2 cloves garlic, chopped
Chicken Bouillon Granules - They work better than just the cubes, but I imagine you could
smash up a cube.
Curry powder to taste
1-2 T Oil


1. In a large skillet (sometimes we even break it into 2 skillets for easier cooking) heat the oil. Sprinkle the bouillon on the chicken, I always use extra because that's my favorite flavor in the dish, and place in the hot oil. Fry for about 5 minutes.

2. Add rice, carrots, onions and garlic to the chicken. Use more oil as needed.

3. Sprinkle the chicken mixture with the curry power, continue cooking until nicely browned. The browning can take awhile. Turn the temperature down and flip it every few minutes. We like it more on the crispy side. 

So yummy!

Linking Up At:


Photobucket



2 comments:

  1. Yay for Plov! I miss those classes too, and having a sister close by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so delicious! I'm so glad you joined in at Must Try Monday. Hope to see you back next week!

    ReplyDelete