DIY Flannel Board


I remember playing with my mom's flannel board all the time when I was little. When I saw that Oopsey Daisy had printable flannel board stories, I knew I needed to make my own. This was a super easy process.

Here's what you need:
1 1/2 Yards of flannel- Use a solid color so it doesn't distract from the story.
A board- I used a big foam posterboard from Walmart. It cost $1.
A glue gun and a lot of glue
Ribbon to trim the edges

I started off by ironing my flannel to get our any wrinkles or creases from where it had been folded. I wanted it to lay very smoothly.

Next I just started gluing. Let me just say, I need a new glue gun. I have a junky little one and by the time I was finished I had lost feeling in my trigger finger. On the front I glued the bottom edge of the fabric right to the bottom edge of the board. With the sides there was extra fabric, so I wrapped it around to the back, stretched it tight, and glued it down.

I cut enough fabric so that on top I could stretch the fabric over and completely cover the back side, so I have a double sided flannel board. This way when I'm telling a story on it I can have the pieces I need on back ready to use. I folded over the edges of the fabric on the back side to hide the ugly raw edge. Then I edged the entire board in a wide ribbon. I folded it almost in half. I glued the wider side to the front and the skinnier side to the back. I think it gives it a nice finished look.


Sweet Girl and I have already had fun playing with our new flannel board.

Linking Up At:






Lil\'Luna
Creations by Kara



3 comments:

  1. I love this idea! Just pinned it and would love for you to link it on The Sunday Showcase! Brilliant! http://www.theiowafarmerswife.com/2012/06/sunday-showcase-playing-with-paint.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! I had heard of this with felt, but I must live under a rock and never knew it works with felt too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This turned out great! Wish I could buy one readymade, I know mine would end up a bit crooked!!

    Thanks for linking up to the Sunday Showcase - hope to see you there again next week!

    Charlotte
    makedoandfriend.com

    ReplyDelete