O is for Ocean

Here are the rest of the O is for Ocean activities. Sorry it took so long. I have also included a couple more free printables to go along with the other free ocean printables I posted forever ago. For the printables, just click on the picture and download it.


I am super picky about handwriting pages. So many of them are in weird fonts or too small for beginning writers, so I finally decided to try making my own. This one worked out really well for me. I hope you like it too. Hopefully there will be more to come.


I loved this writing activity. Sweet Girl was really into sharks. We read a few books about sharks and then filled out this shark facts paper. I was surprised at how much she remembered.

Here are a few more activities we did that didn't require printables.


Literacy/Writing Activities
  • Fishing for Letters- I printed these fish patterns off of Oopsey Daisy, wrote the ABCs on the back and slipped a paper clip on the front. Sweet Girl used our magnetic fishing pole to catch one and then practiced the name and sound.
  • Fish Tracing-We practiced writing by tracing the pieces of our wooden fish puzzle.
  • Ocean Writing- I filled a gallon sized bag with blue paint and then used a Q-tip to practice writing letters.

Math Activities
  • Goldfish Graphing- I printed this goldfish graph off of Oopsey Daisy. We used the colored goldfish to graph them by color.
  • Land or Ocean Animal Sorting- We used our growing collection of plastic animals to sort which ones live on land and which live in the ocean.
  • Counting Octopus-I made this octopus out of construction paper and wrote numbers 1-8 on the body. Each leg had circular suction cup stickers (okay they were flowers, but at least they were round). The first leg had one sticker, the second leg had two stickers, etc. Sweet Girl counted the suction cups and matched them to the correct numbers.
  • Roll and Cover- We also played a roll and cover octopus game from Teachers Pay Teachers. 


Other Activities
  • Five Little Jellyfish- I made these by gluing some ribbon between two pieces of felt. We took them away one at a time as we said this poem:                                                                                           5 little jellyfish swimming by the shore, the yellow one got lost and that left 5.                                       4 little jellyfish swimming in the sea, the blue one swam away and that left 3.                                         3 little jellyfish in the ocean so blue, the red one swam away and that left 2.                                         2 little jellyfish swimming in the sun, the orange one took a dive and that left 1.                                     1 little jellyfish swimming all alone, it was time to go home and that left none.     
  • Cupcake Liner Jellyfish- Cut a cupcake liner in half and glue down, then glue tissue paper strips down as the tentacles. Add some googly eyes.
  • Textured Starfish- We talked about how starfish are rough and that helps them cling to the rock. Cut out a star shape and cover with glue and rice. 
  • What's in the Ocean?- I found these foam ocean stickers at the dollar store. Sweet Girl stuck them on our ocean paper while we talked about the different animals.                                               
I loved this unit. There are so many amazing things to learn about in the ocean, and I learned a lot of new things right along with Sweet Girl. I hope you enjoy learning more about it too.




0 comments:

Post a Comment