Star Wreath From Cereal Boxes


I am so excited about the way this project turned out. A few months ago I saw a picture on Pinterest of a star made out of a cereal box. It took me awhile to decide what I wanted to make with these stars, but I finally settled on a patriotic wreath.

Here's what you'll need:
Empty cereal boxes. (It used 3 boxes)
Paint
Ink for Distressing
Wreath
Hot Glue Gun

Luckily Husband goes through a lot of cereal, so I had plenty of empty cereal boxes for this project. I started by cutting out a star pattern with my Cricut, and then I traced that on the inside of the cereal box.

I cut out the stars and drew on the lines. Each line goes from the tip of the point, through the middle to the corner across from it. In the end I used about 15 stars.



I folded the star in half on each line and made sure to give it a hard crease.


After each line had been crease I kind of smushed it together so that it would take on a 3D look.

 

I spray painted the stars. I found that the white paint didn't stick very well. It kept soaking in. I was using cheap paint so that may have had something to do with it. In the end I finally just used a sponge brush to paint acrylic paint on the white ones. The red and blue stars turned out better. I did have to do a few coats. Again, I was using $1.50 cans of Walmart spray paint. If you have nicer spray paint it might go on a little better, but in the end I was happy with my cheap paint.

I also antiqued the edges by running them along a pad of black ink.

 

 Then I used hot glue to attach each star to my Dollar Store wreath.

 

I didn't really have a plan for how I overlapped them. I just started gluing. And finally after picking off all the leftover hot glue strings, I have my beautiful patriotic wreath!


 The only downside to this wreath is that if it gets rainy I'm afraid my stars will be ruined. I might have to look for a place inside to hang it.






12 comments:

  1. super cute michelle! i'm totally loving this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute, Michelle! How creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a great idea and I love that you used cereal boxes!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the idea of making this from cereal boxes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute! You did a great job!!!

    P.S. I am your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. You are my second follower! I'm so happy!

      Delete
  6. This is fantastic! Thank you for linking up to my Patriotic Project Parade.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very creative & it turned out super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I love your wreath..it's truly amazing! Those stars look like they are made of metal. It's mind boggling to know that they are made of cereal box cardboard. I hope it's okay, I've featured your wreath on a cereal box crafts round-up that I just finished. You can see it here:

    http://jamiebrock.hubpages.com/hub/Super-Cute-Cereal-Box-Crafts

    Also, thank you so much for sharing the wonderful tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this! I pinned this for next year :)

    ReplyDelete