Cub Scout Health and Fitness Activity

I am a Cubmaster. If you don't know what that means, it means I am in charge of all of the cub scouts in our little pack. This is a funny calling for me to have because I have always had a great dislike for the scouting program. When I was asked to be the Cubmaster I literally laughed out loud and started listing all the reasons why I absolutely did not want to be involved in scouting. But in the end I accepted the job with a resolve to do my best. And I must say, for the few months I have been involved with scouts, I have really come to love it. My boys are so sweet, and genuinely excited about the things we do. And their parents are so supportive of me as I try to figure this out.

For our May pack meeting we arranged for the American Legion to come show the boys how to retire flags. The day before pack meeting they called and asked to reschedule. So I had to whip up a pack meeting in a day and a half.

The theme for May was Health and Fitness. I decided to have the boys play Minute to Win It games that would promote health and fitness.

Our pre-opening activity was one I stole from a baby shower. I put out jars of baby food with the labels ripped off. The boys and their families could smell and look at the food, but not taste it, and they had to guess what healthy foods were in the jars. It was actually really fun. Some of the boys studied the jars for 10-15 minutes. I had to finally make them sit down so we could get started.


We played four games, 2 about exercise and 2 about healthy eating.

First they had to grab a roll of toilet paper by the end square and then flail about until they got the entire roll unwrapped. I was having so much fun watching this one that I forgot to take pictures.

Next they strapped tissue boxes around themselves and had to dance and jump until they shook out the 4 ping pong balls inside. We even got the parents involved on this one.

For healthy eating we talked about how breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I cut up cereal boxes into 16 pieces and they worked in teams to put them back together.

Last, I'm sure you've seen the game where they have a minute to slide as many Oreos down their foreheads and into their mouths as possible. We talked about having healthy snacks, and we used whole wheat crackers instead of Oreos.

For dessert we ate fruit kabobs.

Even though this activity was thrown together at the last minute, everyone had a really good time.

1 comment: